Myofascial Release

Rough

February 21, 2011 · 10 Comments

Other approaches attempt to release fascia are linear protocols that are rough, mechanical, painful and only provide temporary relief.  Confusing therapeutic protocols with reality has caused many people to erroneously view humans as two dimensional, linear objects.  The map or protocol is not the territory!

Our bodies are over 70% fluid. The fascia is the container of and transport medium of the fluid in our body.  The fluidity of the fascial system is also the transport medium for the vibrations of sound and light to flow for cellular communication.  Trauma, surgery, thwarted inflammatory responses and unresolved emotional trauma tend to dehydrate the fluidity of the fascial system blocking the important transmission of light/sound for proper physiological function.

My Myofascial Release approach is a gentle, sustained three dimensional pressure into myofascial restrictions that provides lasting results.  You may be interested in the following link that explains the unique and effective myofascial release principles that I have developed (Myofascial Release Approach: Part 1).

Sincerely,

John

For more information about Myofascial Release, you can now access two separate excerpts from the Fireside Chat with John F. Barnes, PT DVD on ‘You Tube’!   Just click on the following links:

Part 1

Part 2

To find us on Facebook, click on the following link: www.facebook.com/myofascial.release

John F. Barnes, PT, LMT, NCTMB is the President of the Myofascial Release Treatment Centers and International Myofascial Release Seminars. For more information call 1-800-FASCIAL (327-2425) or visit www.myofascialrelease.com.

Categories: General

10 responses so far ↓

•   Bennett Estephane-Bertie // Feb 27th 2011 at 11:31 am

” Trauma, surgery, thwarted inflammatory responses and unresolved emotional trauma tend to dehydrate the fluidity of the fascial system blocking the important transmission of light/sound for proper physiological function.”

I just experienced this, this past week, with unresolved emotional trauma, I was experiencing some stress, with then lead to excessive dehydration in my body, which then triggered a Sickle cell crisis, but I plan on enrolling in some seminars, probably starting with Myofascial I.

Bennett

•   Taryn G. // Feb 27th 2011 at 10:58 pm

Hi John,
    I am a physical therapist working with a patient who underwent Lumbar fusion surgery not quite a year ago, and his incisional wound only healed fully about 2 months ago. He has also had prostate cancer in the past (15 years ago), which was treated with radiation only, with no further recurrence. I feel he would really benefit from MFR, though I know it’s contraindicated with a history of cancer. My questions are these: How long after being cancer-free can someone begin receiving MFR, if at all; and How long after incisional wound healing can we start MFR?
    Thanks so much for your time,
    Taryn G.

•   Lori Johnson // Feb 28th 2011 at 4:15 pm

Dear John,
    I recommend “Fireside Chat” to my clients. It is helpful for them to hear about MFR from you in such a warm and inviting manner. Thank you for making the DVD.
    Lori Johnson

•   Richard Eshelman // Mar 1st 2011 at 9:14 am

Thanks John for all the wonderful work and insights you have to share.

Richard Eshelman

•   Ami Kalisek // Mar 1st 2011 at 8:25 pm

I have a slight scoliosis that has been present since I was in my early teens. This had left me with very hypertonic shoulder muscles, causing pain and contributing to headaches.
    Being a massage therapist, there were no shortage of willing deep tissue therapists that I had work on my shoulders, even working for one full hour between the two of them. Nothing gave me any relief for any length of time.
    I found Myofascial Release, and began a long course of treatment. It was the only treatment that ever made lasting difference. And no post treatment soreness. This work works.
    Thank you.

•   Jill Rehrig // Mar 1st 2011 at 9:29 pm

To all in question of “what should I do next?”
    I cannot describe in words the full benefit of John Barnes MFR…in a nutshell…the work delves into the entire person through their entire being and beyond their physical problem…ranging from using a little hands-on pressure to using a deeper amount of pressure depending on the individual’s needs and tolerances.Bcause of this gentle and non-invasive style of care the person receiving the work can relax within themselves to fully engage into the healing process which in turn will benefitthem physcially, mentally/emotionally and spiritually.
    The feelsing of safety sets in and promotes positve gains and progress. The work is simply priceless…and I could ramble on and on about the benefits of MFR…If you are the slightest intrigued by these articles…and it has called your attention…get yourself scheduled for an appointment…It is a gift….

•   Valerie McGraw // Mar 2nd 2011 at 8:18 am

Hi Taryn,

Myofascial Release is not contraindicated for the patient you inquired about with a history of cancer 15 years ago. In fact, Myofascial Release has helped people with cancer as John speaks about in his seminars and as one person wrote in a testimonial published on our website at the following link:

ProvenResults

In your patient’s situation, he has been cancer free for 15 years, so it is not even a precaution at this point. In fact, the radiation he has received may have contributed to restrictions or adhesions in the fascial system and if that is the case, Myofascial Release would be highly indicated.

We often treat people who have undergone spinal fusions who respond favorably to treatment. Since the surgery was almost a year ago, and the wound healed fully two months ago, I would say that it is okay to begin treatment in the area of the incision, but to start gently and monitor his response. Remember to treat the body as a whole and go back to the basics of MFR I. Stand him up, look at him structurally and see where his fascial system is pulling him in space. Then do a thorough hands-on assessment for fascial restrictions and treat according to where the restrictions are. Even if you are not able to treat in the area of the incision, there is probably plenty to work on in other areas that may be contributing to his pain and dysfunction.

Sincerely,

Valerie McGraw, PT
    Chief Physical Therapist
    Clinic Manager
    Paoli Myofascial Release Center

•   Teresa Miller // Mar 2nd 2011 at 5:13 pm

I have had so many patients come in and express their amazement after receiving Myofascial Release treatment the way John teaches it. They comment that the other therapist only push hard in the sore spots, but it don’t get a lasting result. The pain just comes back. They comment that what I do is so subtle but makes a noticeable difference.

John, Thank you for showing us a treatment approach that is gently and has lasting results.
    Teresa Miller PT

•   Melissa Russell LMT // Mar 3rd 2011 at 11:06 pm

When I took my first Myofascial Release class with John Barnes I was working for a pain management center providing manual therapy for the PT department. The results for MFR compared to other modalities is profound. My patients loved the work and felt the difference immediately!

•   Lisa Ganfield, OTR/L, CHT // Mar 8th 2011 at 9:30 am

Many of our clients have had what they considered “rough” treatment to try to abate their pain. Some are even quick to reveal that this roughness seems to add additional trauma to their trauma.
    Myofascial Release as taught by John Barnes is gentle, effective and when done correctly, releases trauma on many planes. JFB’s MFR is always a first to use on our list of possible treatments for pain or dysfunction.